Τετάρτη 25 Ιουνίου 2008

ΤΖΩΝ ΝΤΟΝ!


JOHN DONNE


[O MIGHT THOSE SIGHS AND TEARS RETURN AGAIN]


O might those sighs and tears return again
Into my breast and eyes, which I have spent,
That I might in this holy discontent
Mourn with some fruit, as I have mourned in vain;
In mine Idolatry what showers of rain
Mine eyes did waste! what griefs my heart did rent!
That sufferance was my sin; now I repent;
'Cause I did suffer I must suffer pain.
Th' hydropic drunkard, and night-scouting thief,
The itchy lecher, and self-tickling proud
Have the remembrance of past joys for relief
Of comming ills. To (poor) me is allowed
No ease; for long, yet vehement grief hath been
Th' effect and cause, the punishment and sin.



Ευχαριστίες οφείλουμε στην εικονιζόμενη φίλη του ιστολογίου κ. Catherine McPhee, για την αποστολή του ποιήματος αυτού.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου