Παρασκευή 14 Δεκεμβρίου 2018

ΒΛΑΝΤΙΜΙΡ ΝΑΜΠΟΚΩΦ!



VLADIMIR NABOKOV


ON TRANSLATING «EUGENE ONEGIN»

1
What is translation? On a platter
A poet’s pale and glaring head,
A parrot’s screech, a monkey’s chatter,
And profanation of the dead.
The parasites you were so hard on
Are pardoned if I have your pardon,
O, Pushkin, for my stratagem:
I traveled down your secret stem,
And reached the root, and fed upon it;
Then, in a language newly learned,
I grew another stalk and turned
Your stanza patterned on a sonnet,
Into my honest roadside prose
:
All thorn, but cousin to your rose.

2
Reflected words can only shiver
Like elongated lights that twist
In the black mirror of a river
Between the city and the mist.
Elusive Pushkin! Persevering,
I still pick up Tatiana’s earring,
Still travel with your sullen rake.
I find another man’s mistake,
I analyze alliterations
That grace your feasts and haunt the great
Fourth stanza of your Canto Eight.
This is my task
: a poet’s patience
And scholastic passion blent:
Dove-droppings on your monument.

: Vladimir Nabokov, The New Yorker (1955 January 8)
 Nabokov ironically uses tetrameter sonnets like those of Pushkin’s Eugene Onegin to defend his choice of translating Pushkin’s work into free verse.

 

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου